Sunday, March 27, 2005

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!

Nothing like a little coup to make your spring break interesting...
_
This is the first real chance I've had to get on the internet and post about what has been going on here. And what has been going on here? I don't really know. You probably know more than I do since I have been locked in my apartment for a week with five other volunteers. We got secondhand news from PC and our families, and heard constantly changing reports from BBC radio. I haven't had a chance to read any news but from what PC is saying, Bishkek is calm and they expect no more problems. They told us yesterday that everyone can return to their sites, no longer needing us consolidated in case of evacuation. Consolidation was tough and very stressful since we didn't know if we would be staying or leaving, none of us really knowing how to feel. We made it through, though, withoutout killing each other (at least not in my warden group). All PCV's are fine as far as I know, and we're just waiting to see how this new government pans out.
_
Now. Again I haven't read any news so these comments might prove moot. Problems that I foresee deal with Russia, other central asian nations, legitimacy, and conflicts within the new government itself. Russia I guess has a Monroe Doctorine kinda thing with regards to Kstan and could step in if things become escalated again. I don't think that will happen. Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and other CA nations could follow suit and mount their own coups since these nations all share common problems with regard to poverty, lack of jobs, and government corruption. We have to wait and see. As far as the new government is concerned, they are reportedly getting things under control and a representative council from the EU (I think is what I heard) is comming in to evaluate the situation. The next few weeks will show how popular the new government is and if it can stick to the changes that the protestors initially demanded. Also problematic is the Security Minister and the acting President. They are both from different areas of the country and have different outlooks on how to organize the new parliment. Clashes could arise over disputes as to who is the ligitamate governing body: the former parliment or the newly elected and highly contested one. All of these are things that will play out in the next few weeks and I'll be here to see it. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I htought the Russians joined the stan EU thing and they went after the school?

Papyrus said...

Things are looking up. The BBC news just posted an article that the Kyrgyz assembly is resolving the deadlock that has impeded the transition to a new government. Security appears to be much tighter and slowly things are cooling down. Here is the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4389197.stm

Hope all is well with you Peace Corps volunteers!

Anonymous said...

Aishonbek - I don't know how to say this, but we've found a new English teacher for our school and, let's just say she's from the village and her English is poor, but we like the way she says 'willich' instead of 'village.' I am sorry to inform you that your post has been terminated and you are now to fly to DC and keep your friend, Ailey, company. I'm sorry if this comes as a shock

Anonymous said...

Bokombaev,
What is in a name? Ailey seems quite appropriate for her. She whines and you cannot post on her blog. She left on Spring Break after starting a coup; but then again that is a Russian name!

If you follow the news today, you'll see that Laura is off to Afghanistan and, in addition to car bombings we may see a parallel "evacuation of PCVs from Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan because of their nearness to Afghanistan, it wasn't because of volunteers' jitters"- but becasue of Laura Bush!

By the way, is the Director's name still Kurtins?

I also stole this from a Euraia net article and could not help but laugh!:


"The appointment of acting President Bakiyev and the holding of a pre-term presidential election in the event that Akayev refuses to resign are deliberately unconstitutional steps, though necessary," Tekebayev said.

The deliberately unconstitutional steps make it impossible for him to resign, not that he should'nt ring up old pals Bill and Hillary!

'Let's just say' you have a good sense of humor and I won't say anything else about 'her' "the replacement!"

Anonymous said...

The other blog is CLEAN. I mean really.