Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Unrest

Well things pretty much suck here in Kyrgyzstan. Because of political unrest all over the country, our in service training (IST) has been postponed for a week and all travel during the next ten days (aka our spring break) has been canceled. We have been ordered to stay in site until the 28th, when, supposedly, things will have quieted down and we will be allowed to travel to Bishkek.
We found out yesterday about the postponement and being grounded for ten days. Everyone is pissed, including K11's who have had their vacation plans canceled as well. A friend of mine in Jalalabat was accepted to a program that allows him to travel to Uzbekistan for a week to work with kids who will soon be visiting America as part of a highly competitive scholarship program. This is exactly the kind of work we are here to do and the Peace Corps has sent volunteers to help since 1994. His trip has been canceled.
Another friend is now not allowed to fly to Bishkek to visit is father, who was flying in from America to spend a few weeks with his son and see where he has been serving for the past 2 years. The trip has been canceled because Pezce Corps has deemed it too unsafe. His father, more than likely, won't be able to see his son.
As far as I'm concerned...I'm furious that I don't get to see Elise. We planned on spending ten days together during training and had been looking forward to it for a month. We've only seen each other 7 days out of the last 100 and being apart is horrible. We were both crushed by the news. I will get to see her in two weeks (if IST isn't canceled all together) but will only have five days and more than likely won't be allowed to leave the hotel in Bishkek.
From what I've seen in Jalalabat and from what I've heard from the north(check right for a link to the latest Kstan news). None of the volunteers are sure the postponement is neccessary. Roads have been closed and many demonstrations have been held, but from what I have heard there has been no violence. Our new country director might just be overly cautious and he is certainly not endearing himself to the volunteers by effectively canceling our spring vacations. I'm left with ten days alone in my site, something I am frankly dreading. Christmas break was almost unbearable. I was going out of my mind with boredom. And I was allowed to travel during that break...We'll see how this vacation pans out.
Ok, hope everyone is well. I'll keep you informed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that they're probably overreacting. There's the outside possibility you guys have some jerk in Washington and/or wherever your regional security guy is (it was Almaty when I was in Uzbekistan) who is seeing the news and thinking "Ooooh, scary, better lock things down tight."

There has been some violence in a few places, but it's certainly not directed at foreigners. I hope they lift the standfast (that's what you're in, right?) soon.