Monday, March 07, 2005

So You Say You Want A Revolution?

    Hellllllooooo Students. Things are popping down in the south of the country I now call home. I was in Jalalabat last Friday and witnessed what the Peace Corps during training termed “civil unrest”. The name is a little sexier than the actual thing unfortunately but it was interesting to watch nonetheless. About 200 protestors held a rally outside of the governor’s office. Anti-Akaev protestors. Akaev, the current president, is serving his third term despite a constitutional ban on serving more than two terms in office and has been accused of a number of crimes ranging from simply shady to downright dictatorial. Most notably, a recent Newsweek had some Central-Asian-Expert-Guy quoted as saying “Akaev is going apeshit” regarding his restrictions of the public’s role in elections in the wake of the Ukraine turnaround. Despite this colorful quote in the very reputable newsmagazine Newsweek (that’s my tongue in my cheek right there), Akaev isn’t exactly hated in Kstan. Many support the president, but have no democratic alternatives to compare him to. At best they are living the status quo. My friend Ailey and I discussed last week that the public here doesn’t seem to question Akaev and don’t seem to have the anger that is often required to spark a drastic change.

    I guess they found their anger on Friday. After a few hours of peaceful protesting, things escalated and the mob began to force their way into the governor’s compound. Someone climbed the ten foot tall fence and managed to get the electric gate open. Police, being helplessly outnumbered could do nothing to stop them as they began to push their way into the offices. This is what I and few other volunteers witnessed on our way out of the city. PC called us the next day to report that protesters in fact did make their way into the governors office and rumors said that they also stormed his house and that he and his family were forced to flee. How much of that last part is actually true is questionable, but it shows that obviously the people here are starting to really question their leaders and are not afraid to show it. Don’t misunderstand, however. Things aren’t chaotic here and I’m not at all worried about my safety. No one was hurt during the protest and the PC is really on top of things when it comes to volunteer safety. Frankly, I’m kind of excited about the whole thing. These protests are coming on the wake of last Sundays deputy (congressional) elections and they show that come October, when presidential elections are held, we are going to see an interesting show.

    That’s the latest from here. I’m in the city today because it is International Women’s Day and I have no class. I had no class yesterday as well, because, you know, it was the day before International Women’s Day and students shouldn’t be asked to work that day either. Anyway, to the ladies out there, happy IWD…Also! Movie quote help needed: “I can’t promise I’ll try, but I’ll try to try.” What the hell is that from? Let me know. Talk to you all later.

    P.S. Ailey, you smell.

2 comments:

Shayla said...

i thought that try to try thing was from tj. i know he used to say stuff like that. "ill think about thinking about it."

Anonymous said...

"I can't promise I'll try. But I'll try to try."
-- Bart to Lisa in "The Canine Mutiny", after she tells him to "try not to
freak out the blind man."

Not a movie quote. A Simpson's quote.

Dad