Tuesday, March 20, 2007

McEnglish

I just got home from my second day of training at the local Nova branch. So far, everything has been great. The staff and the foreign instructors have all been really nice and very helpful and the training itself has gone smoothly. Mostly it's just been learning the "Nova" way of doing things, which in comparison to a lot of the other places I've taught, is pretty good. All in all, it seems like it will be a pretty easy job and I should be learning a lot along the way.

It is different though. Nova's biggest selling point is how many branches they have and how convenient they are to find. Most are located a block from major subway stops. The branch Sarah and I will be working in is actually located on the 5th floor of a department store. 4th floor Menswear, 5th floor Conversational English. The branches themselves are also incredibly tiny. The branch we are currently training at has doors I have to walk through sideways; my shoulders are too wide for me to walk through normally. And the classrooms themselves are actually the size of Office Space cubicles. I've been introducing myself to students as Samir Naga-Nagonnna-teach-you-English but they don't get it. Maybe it's my delivery.

Anyway. We have our last day of training tomorrow, get to come back to our apartment and repack all our stuff and move into our permanent place on Thursday morning. It'll be nice to get settled and start work at our home branch. Assuming I'm not too tall to work there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you started hitting your head on ceilings yet, or is it just I that am blessed with absurdly low door-jambs?

Unknown said...

Hey Buddy, sounds like life in Japan is going Okay. Minnesota is magical as always, a record 81 degrees yesterday. Are you doing fantasy baseball again this year?