Friday, March 16, 2007

Japan: Day 3

So I'm in Japan. Really quick recap: Went home for four months, saw friends and took a three week trip to Canada to visit Sarah, applied for and got a job for NOVA a Japanese English teaching company and I flew in three days ago.

I'm planning on being here for a year (like I did in Prague, and Korea, 6 and 10 months respectively) and so far it sounds doable. I'm living with Sarah in a two bedroom flat which is much bigger than our place in Korea. The job sounds to be a lot easier, less classes, much more professional and it seems like the teachers we've talked to all like their jobs. We have three days of training starting on Monday and then we start our jobs officially on Friday. With our experience, I'm sure this year will be cake.

So far though it's been the usual first few days in a new country. Sleeping, cup ramen, registering for a foreign card, getting lost, drinking, unpacking, getting really lost, yelling at self for forgetting to pack various items, determining if TV here is watchable (answer: yes, based only on weirdness), getting in fight with girlfriend over how lost we are. Honestly Sarah and I have both noted how we don't really feel like this is a foreign country. Is it because of how Westernized Japan is as a whole? Is it because we just spent a year (ok, 10 months) in Korea, a similar Asian country? Is it because we are such awesome world travelers that the entire globe feels like home to us? We'll find out.

In the meantime, I am committed to posting again and I will have pictures up as soon as I take 'em.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Sean,

There is no way your blog will ever be better than my blog. In a battle between a bulldozer and Ichiro, who do you think would win? The answer is Ichiro (he represents me in this equation). Nice try, small fry.

Anonymous said...

the only reason you feel like an awsome globe traveller is because your travelling with hot Canadian, mmmmmmmm Sarah...oh I'll be back my wifes calling me

Unknown said...

Why do you call it a Flat? Aren't you American?