Sunday, May 21, 2006

Kimchi!

Since I got here I have been rather unimpressed with Kimchi, a spicy, pickled cabbage and Korea's prized national dish. Like national dishes around the world, it is heralded as a cure-all. Here, it is believed that Kimchi can cure everything from aging to hangovers to SARS (yeah...). In my limited experience, it hasn't cured shit, and is actually likely to cause heartburn.

While reading the LA Times today, though, I found this story. Supposedly researchers have created a special Kimchi for Korean astronauts that will prevent them from getting constipated while in space. Also: "At the Kimchi Research Institute in Busan, hairless mice fed kimchi were reported to develop fewer wrinkles." Not only was I shocked to discover that Kimchi prevents wrinkles but that there is a Kimchi Research Institute right here in Busan! How I have lived here for 4 months and not visited this monument to science?

No comments: