Friday, December 17, 2004

Remember Me?

Ok, I know that it's been over two months since I posted anything and tons has happened since then. I'm going to try to start posting regularly and I hope to get some pictures up soon as well.

I'm now in Jalalabat, a large city in the South of Kstan. It's cold and rainy today and I'm in town hanging out with some other volunteers after my first week of teaching. I taught 9-11 grade students for about five hours a day. Not too demanding a schedual but things were tough without electricity. No electricity no lights or heat. It was fun though and my students are pretty motivated to learn.
My village is Bazar Korgon. Village is a slight understatement since 30,000 people live and work their. I'm posted there with two other volunteers and by all acounts things are going pretty well. I am living in an apartment by myself, which is good as far as personal space and privacy is concerned, but bad as far as language goes. My Kyrgyz is passable, but it won't get much better if I don't have a host family to talk to. I'm making myself go to the bazar ever day and talk to people there. Later I plan on finding a tutor. Hopefully my language won't suffer too much. Also a chalenge in the apartment is cooking. I can cook decently, but it's so much more work here. I don't have hot water. In fact I only have water 3 hours a day, which means I have to fill buckets to last the day. I have two heating pads (one of which has electrocuted me three times) and a mix of usable and unusable pots and pans. I'm bound to get better soon.
Ok, Greg is telling me we have to leave. We're off to hagle at the bazar then catch a cab home. Talk to you all later.

Sean

No comments: