Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bunch of things of great and little importance

It's been a month since I've posted. I've been busy, I've been lazy. Lot's has gone on but since it's been a whole month I'm not going to put it into any coherent order. Bullet points:


  • We got our new schedules, and predictably, got screwed. The promises of less hours turned out to be just that, and we were left with the same classes or more. It sucks and we're all kinda pissed. Two teachers have decided to leave in May.
  • I broke up with Michelle. We had both felt different since we got here and we had been spending way too much time together. This is all for the best (I tell myself) and we're going to remain friends.
  • Started working out everyday and studying Korean. After a month, I'm still working out. Where is that text book anyway?
  • Taught adjectives to a class a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything in the room with which to demonstrate 'long' and 'short'. Lines on the board weren't working neither was my "shoot an imaginary arrow across the room" technique. A student pointed to her pinky finger and said "short". I applauded this and said "Yes! Short!" pointing to my own pinky. "And this is long..." I said before I knew what I was doing. I managed to stop myself but the kids all began to display their middle fingers. I got flipped off by a dozen eight year-olds. (And, yeah, they knew what they were doing.)
  • Watched all of season 1 and what is available from season 2 of Lost. That show is kick ass.
  • Korea has gone undefeated in the World Baseball Classic, beating Japan AND the US. This is awesome. Baseball season starts up here April 6th. Tickets are $4 and you can bring as much beer and food into the stadium as you can carry.
  • My youngest brother has been accepted to UC Riverside and my middle brother turned 21. God damn I feel old.
  • A student of mine brought a syringe to class yesterday. Where he got it or what he was going to do with it I have no idea. I took it away and never heard if he was punished or not.
  • I've discovered that I am a mediocre poker player at best and I have lost whatever skill I once had at Tiger Woods video game golf.
  • I've gone to a nori-bong (Karaoke room) five times since I've been here. Still haven't been to the famous fish market, Busan tower or any temples of note.
  • I'm reading that "A Million Little Pieces" book that everybody was freaking out about. Halfway through and I'm unimpressed.
  • I've developed a "Spider-sense" that alerts me to the presence of students who wish to poke their fingers into my butt. It's amazing. All the teachers here have this ability.
  • I went to get my Alien Registration Card at the immigration office today. Instead of writing my name as Sean LaMar Brown, they spelled it Sean La Mad Brown. I'm going to ask to be called "La Mad" from now on.

That's all that's going on. The rest is just teaching, drinking and spending way too much money. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: