Monday, January 23, 2006

First week impressions

Great week. My students are pretty good. There are a few demons (many of them named Harry) but nothing that can't be handled. I only teach 6 or 7 classes a day and we work out of books so it isn't difficult. Should be a pretty easy job. Plus this is 'Winter Intensive' so this is a busy month. Next month I get a new schedule and probably won't start till 10 am or so. Not quite sure how I feel about that yet. I'm usually not good with downtime.

So far, I've seen very little of the country. A bit of my neighborhood and a lot of Michelle's (which is downtown and has more parks, shopping areas and bars). I have however found 4 karaoke bars in my neighborhood, a gym, lots of fish stands and a place that teaches Kendo (the fine Japanese art of hitting others with sticks). I haven't checked out the gym or Kendo dojo yet but I will.

Over the weekend I went with some co-workers and some other teachers from nearby and we volunteered at an orphanage. The kids there were great and were really happy to have us there to play with. Wish I had brought my camera. It sounds like it's a monthly thing though, so I will have another chance for pictures.

In fact, the only pictures I've taken so far are the one's below that I just took of my apartment. This Thursday I'm taking the ferry to Japan to get my visa. I'll be sure to take pictures there.


This is my flat. Pretty big and with internet and cable. Not pictured is the Winnie the Pooh comforter that was on my bed when I arrived.


The awesome shower. The sink, toilet and shower are all in one room. You just stand in the middle of the room and shower and the water drains through the floor.


That's about it. I'll let you know how Japan goes (it's just a two day trip) and how the upcoming Lunar New Year goes as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, why don't you try updating your blog sometime? Geez, you're such a slacker.

TJ Heibel said...

You've been memed: http://tjsadventures.blogspot.com/2006/01/7x7.html

Unknown said...

Seriously, Sean, I grow weary of this post.