Thursday, January 06, 2005

When does school begin again?!?

When I thought about all of the situations and factors that would make living in Kyrgyzstan difficult, boredom never came to mind. Yet, of all the things I did think of (language, climate, food) this is probably the most pressing problem. Take today for example. I have done nothing today but read and play around on my computer. Nothing. I went to school for a half hour, expecting my counterpart to be there and hoping I could get into our resource center so I could plan some lessons (I can’t work in my apartment, see above: reading and computer.) Anyway, Aleysher wasn’t around and neither were any other teachers. I cleaned my classroom a little and I made a poster describing California. That’s it. I walked back home (which took me longer than it took me to make the poster) and I did stop to play soccer with some kids who greeted me with the ubiquitous “hello!”. Everyone knows “hello!” and “I love you”. I’m glad that they yell the former. I got home and spent a good number of hours reading or playing solitaire. Oh, and drying my underwear on the heater. I woke up this morning and found that the laundry I hung on my porch the previous evening had frozen during the night. I’ve been drying them inside since. Exciting day, huh?

I have to start studying Kyrgyz. Or exercising. Or learn how to juggle. Or bend spoons with my mind. Something has to change. Living here gives you such an opportunity for laziness that it’s very hard to get anything done. I have to become more active or I’ll go nuts. I’ll start tomorrow.

Tomorrow, actually, I’ll be busy. I’m going into Jalalabat in the morning (if your reading this post, then I made it safely) to do internet and a little shopping. In the afternoon we’re having a banya party to celebrate the birthdays of two other volunteers. A banya is a Russian steam bath, and there are public banyas you can rent by the hour. We’re going to hang out in the steam room and drink and then head to the attached cafĂ© (?) for dinner. It should be a good time.

I start back at school on Wednesday, and sometime before then I have to plan my lessons. And my English clubs. I’ll start Monday. I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Things to do when you are in a far off land:

Go for a run.

I thought I had more ideas, but I guess I didnt. Take Care! Scotty